1) Determine whether you want the awnings to blend with your facade or become a colorful focal point, and choose your color/pattern
2) Consider your property's setting. Choose neutral and earthy hues for woodland areas and bright tones
for sunny seashore or poolside patios.
For a classic old-time awning style, consider black-and-white stripes.
your awning contractor's project portfolio for style and fabric
options that work on homes or businesses similar in style to yours.
Look for fabrics that complement the architectural style of your home
or business. Traditional architecture often favors
traditional colors such as forest green, neutrals or navy. Bar stripes are a good choice for colonials
homes. Beige, salmon, or terra-cotta solids and stripes
work well with Southwestern-style and stucco-sided buildings.
Dress up contemporary homes with a bright color or an unexpected contrast. Scalloped valances are a good choice for traditional
homes and shops. Keep the awning design simple and the fabric solid on homes with multiple angled rooflines or architectural
6) Pick patterns that are proportional to the size of your structure and your awning. Small stripes may
look busy on a large expanse of fabric, while
wide-striped fabrics can overwhelm a small ranch-style home.
awning fabrics and binding trim with exterior colors, such as the primary paint color, trim color, and/or shingles. Selecting
valance binding to match masses of color in a nearby garden can offer subtle and creative continuity between your home and
8) Choose colors and patterns that reflect your interior style, especially
that of an interior foyer, to provide
visual continuity upon entry.
9) If heat reduction is a motivation for your awning purchase, choose light colors to reflect
direct sunlight. For additional information on energy savings see links to organizations who study and promote the use of awnings
in a comprehensive strategy to lower utility bills and contribute to sustainable energy use.
10) Enjoy the process...awning
design is a fun, easy, affordable project with tremendous long-term benefits. Let's get creative!